Tim & Rick, thanks for presentation - trip last August

Would you like to share the story of a ride you went on? Been on a good route? Let everyone know here.
Motorcycle(s): Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited, Honda CRF 250l

Tim & Rick, thanks for presentation - trip last August

Postby Cruiser68 » February 24th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Hi Tim,

Thank you to both of you for a fun presentation last night.

Tim, this is the route I talked about back across Oregon through Post, Oregon (the geographical center of Oregon) from Baker City via Forest service road 16 (for a chunk of it anyway). Let's see if I can post it correctly....

We didn't follow it exactly...just a plan and it changed as the day wore on. The route was not one of twisties, but definitely beautiful country. Cowboys on horses seemed to be surprised to see a couple of cruisers on the road. The quality of the road ran the gamit, getting better as we went East to West. Seneca and Post were worth the trip. Fun to sit on the front porch and drink tons of liquids (did I mention it was HOT?) and watch the world move by there. A special thank you to Don for the route!

The whole trip story: I met my Buddy in Stevenson, WA for the trip (he lives in Seattle area) and we rode WA side along the river, across at Bigg's Junction then through Ukiah on to Hines via Elkhorn Scenic Byway. We packed light as we stayed in hotels and it was a short three day trip. Warning...didn't take many pictures. We were too busy riding....

We ate at the Steakhouse in Haines...man that was goooooooooooood!

The second day was the first route posted. It was beautiful and a fun ride out in the middle of nowhere. Saw bear, deer, cowboys on horses, and it was peaceful.

First was running 'Little Dragon's tail' a few times just South of Baker City. This is the canyon the road runs through...

The smiles taking a break after a few runs:

A stop for some food as we ran West toward Sisters

Post Oregon

We ended staying in Redmond...didn't know there was some big event and it was hard to find a hotel room...so Redmond it was. Ran 242 home to Albany and some good food and visiting before Stirling headed home the next day. A great trip!

Motorcycle(s): 08 R1200 RT, 79 XS650, 08 FLHT

Re: Tim & Rick, thanks for presentation - trip last August

Postby orforester » February 26th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Rich that little twisty outside Baker is Dooley Mtn road. Its great except in the spring before all the sand is off!! Yikes!!

I too enjoyed the presentation, it was great. In fact I think I am going to try CA hwy 36. Was curious where they started or ended as it goes clear to Red Bluff, I was thinking of picking it up from Redding. Taking 299, 3 then hooking into 36. Looks like a great 4 day ride, KFalls (Creamery brewery), then Fortuna, Campground, up to Crater Lake via 101 and 199, and home. About 1000 miles

Postby Cruiser68 » February 27th, 2019, 5:06 pm

orforester wrote:Rich that little twisty outside Baker is Dooley Mtn road. Its great except in the spring before all the sand is off!! Yikes!!

I too enjoyed the presentation, it was great. In fact I think I am going to try CA hwy 36. Was curious where they started or ended as it goes clear to Red Bluff, I was thinking of picking it up from Redding. Taking 299, 3 then hooking into 36. Looks like a great 4 day ride, KFalls (Creamery brewery), then Fortuna, Campground, up to Crater Lake via 101 and 199, and home. About 1000 miles

That sounds like a fun ride! I am up for planning something. I am itching for a couple good trips this summer....

Motorcycle(s): 2017 H-D Street Rod, XG750A, "99"

Postby Dustpan » March 1st, 2019, 4:28 am

Rick & Tim, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing you both and the presentation was, as expected, first-rate. Sorry I didn’t get to stick around afterward, but I had to get home to check on MamaBear, who recently underwent minor surgery.

Thanks for all the time and effort you two spend on the rest of us. :thumbup:
"If you don't know (CARE) where you're going, any road'll get you there."

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Motorcycle(s): Trinity (2009 Triumph Daytona 675), Grace (2001 Triumph Sprint RS), Charity (2001 Triumph Sprint ST - Project)

Postby wileycoyote » March 9th, 2019, 9:21 am

Cruiser68 wrote:(did I mention it was HOT?)

:crackup: Taking a page from my book, huh? I love it.

FWIW, I can't see the routes. It says they're not public. Thank you for sharing your story. It definitely sounds like it was a great ride.

orforester wrote:In fact I think I am going to try CA hwy 36. Was curious where they started or ended as it goes clear to Red Bluff, I was thinking of picking it up from Redding. Taking 299, 3 then hooking into 36. Looks like a great 4 day ride, KFalls (Creamery brewery), then Fortuna, Campground, up to Crater Lake via 101 and 199, and home. About 1000 miles

While I highly recommend doing all of CA3, I'd ride all of CA36 between Fortuna & Red Bluff instead of catching it halfway through. The direction doesn't matter, it fun either way. FWIW, the sign you'll be looking for is on the Red Bluff end. As for CA299, it was fun in it's own way, but the one time we rode it, it was littered with traffic. It's the main artery between Arcata & Redding.

I'd like to thank everyone that came out for the presentation. We were humbled by how many people seemed to enjoy it. The best part for me was after we were done when people I had never met came up to us wanting to know more or wanting to share similar stories. Truly an awesome experience.
68 74 74 70 73 3a 2f 2f 77 77 77 2e 79 6f 75 74 75 62 65 2e 63 6f
6d 2f 77 61 74 63 68 3f 76 3d 64 51 77 34 77 39 57 67 58 63 51 :crackup:

Postby Cruiser68 » March 11th, 2019, 9:37 am

wileycoyote wrote:
Cruiser68 wrote:(did I mention it was HOT?)

:crackup: Taking a page from my book, huh? I love it.

Yep, when it is good, why try to change it?

FWIW, I can't see the routes. It says they're not public. Thank you for sharing your story. It definitely sounds like it was a great ride.

Oops, I will change that. I thought I had changed permissions.....

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2007 Husqvarna SM610

Postby RickRick » March 21st, 2019, 8:26 am

Glad you enjoyed the presentation. I think Tim and I had more fun putting it together and have added more to the slide deck (specific maps of all the routes embedded in each trip report). Of course, there were many more events that happened that we left out.

One note about CA 36 - There are involved in a multi-year process of improving one section so be sure to check road reports and closures before you go. There is a 12-mile section of gravel/road construction that adds to the adventure.
'Oh Shit!' is usually the moment when your plan parts ways with reality

Postby Cruiser68 » March 21st, 2019, 9:05 am

I checked setting on the maps on RideGPS and they are all to public, so I am not sure if I have another setting I messed up or what. I am new to RidewithGPS so who know what little check mark I missed.....

Motorcycle(s): Trinity (2009 Triumph Daytona 675), Grace (2001 Triumph Sprint RS), Charity (2001 Triumph Sprint ST - Project)

Postby wileycoyote » April 23rd, 2019, 11:09 am

Cruiser68 wrote:

I checked setting on the maps on RideGPS and they are all to public, so I am not sure if I have another setting I messed up or what. I am new to RidewithGPS so who know what little check mark I missed.....

They're showing for me now.
68 74 74 70 73 3a 2f 2f 77 77 77 2e 79 6f 75 74 75 62 65 2e 63 6f
6d 2f 77 61 74 63 68 3f 76 3d 64 51 77 34 77 39 57 67 58 63 51 :crackup:

Return to Ride Reports