European Motorsports/BMW in Eugene

Have you had a good or not-so-good experience at an area shop? Maybe you have some news about a local shop. Please let the others know here. Use your judgment though. If you represent this shop, please don't advertise.
Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75RT, '85 BMW R80, '69 Velorex 562 w/a '79 GW stuck to it

European Motorsports/BMW in Eugene

Postby Ron Alsea » May 7th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Just and FYI from an experience with a couple cocky young salesfolks at European Motorsports in Eugene; my experience was more comical than problematic.
A week ago I called and found they had an OEM knurled screw that provides throttle tension/throttle hold which is great for long distance "cruise control". The guy on the phone was helpful and set it aside for my pick up the next morning.
When I walked in past new bikes and gear and asked for the part, without checking stock, computer inventory or any such gesture, first one then the other guy at the counter started in with "we don't carry old stuff like that" and headed down the road of the benefits of new bikes, etc. I replied they do carry it and it is set aside for me. Response, 'well who said that?' I replied I don't know or care, I just want the part that they had in stock the night before and has my name on it.
Not a big deal and their own deflated ego hopefully is a lesson but this was on the heels of a story from a BMW rider I met in Sisters a week ago who dealt with them in the process of purchasing a BMW with a a trade in.
Pre-trade in he was told that he'd get $6700 toward the next bike which was "Blue Book"; when the time came to sign paper a couple days later, they offered $3400 with the "manager's decision, awfully sorry, etc".
Rider left and made the purchase elsewhere, waiting to have it shipped in from Minnesota. The guy seemed straight, multi-bike, multi-manufacturer owner & long time rider, no ax to grind but was left with the opinion he'd never deal with them again.
I appreciate when the quality of service is the same when you are making a $10 or a $25K purchase.
For what its worth.
Life is good.

Re: European Motorsports/BMW in Eugene

Postby Sasquatch » May 7th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Ron, the first time I walked in there I was greeted by a very obnoxious salesman who was somewhat new, and acted like I stank and his sh** didn't. I blew him off as being a typical salesman and continued to look at the bike. I posted a thread about it. He followed me around and really acted like a douche.

So, I went back a few months later and really wanted to test ride a 800gs. That was my dream buke up until them, but didn't have any I could test ride.. I met one of the owners at that point and he was much nicer and apologized for the salesman on the previous visit. But, I also found that the sticker price is the price and that's final. Well, I like to deal (fun of buying things)... Well I went down the road to Cycle Parts and was much happier with their service and willingness to deal. And other than having to deal with Parts Goddess from time to time is a great place. LOL

Motorcycle(s): 2017 H-D Street Rod, XG750A, "99"

Postby Dustpan » May 7th, 2013, 5:41 pm

The first time I went in to European Motorsports was in response to an ad on Craigslist. Bought my bike from a nice, youngish gentleman named Dane (it was his personal bike). The rest of the people there seemed to be quite snobby and full of themselves. I've not been back, nor do I ever intend to do so.

Any time I need a BMW, "Dealer" I head to Salem Honda/BMW. Nice folks, good service (Sean in parts is AWESOME) and decent prices on just about everything. Who needs that sh*t when giving them money?

SasQ, I suspect Rod must deal on his bikes---after all, they're Triumphs, right??? :lol: And don't say bad things about Parts Goddess-
she makes great desserts! :crackup:
"If you don't CARE where you're going, any road'll get you there."

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Motorcycle(s): 08 R1200 RT, 79 XS650, 08 FLHT

Postby orforester » May 7th, 2013, 7:43 pm

I too would give two thumbs up for Salem BMW/Yamaha. I too have an old BMW (89 K 100). A phone call is all it takes to get a part from them, and they do have a surprising amount of older parts in stock. Last month I broke my "toolbox lid" (don't ask how), but their price was within a dollar of MAX BMW and no shipping charges.

Parts guys are good, young but good. And there is a K bike mechanic in there somewhere, as he came out to discuss mine once, last summer.

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75RT, '85 BMW R80, '69 Velorex 562 w/a '79 GW stuck to it

Postby Ron Alsea » May 7th, 2013, 10:59 pm

Thanks, Gents!
Salem it will be in the future.
Life is good.

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Z1000 1979 KZ1000LTD 07 Husqvarna SM610 1987 Yamaha YSR50

Postby Spincycle » May 8th, 2013, 8:12 am

I would also recommend Hansen's down in Roseburg as well, excellent service dept.
I ain't the same person I was when I bit that guy's ear off.
Mike Tyson

Postby Sasquatch » May 8th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Roseburg is big enough for a Bummer dealer?

Postby orforester » May 8th, 2013, 8:22 pm

I thought Hansens was in Medford?

Motorcycle(s): Trinity (2009 Triumph Daytona 675), Grace (2001 Triumph Sprint RS), Charity (2001 Triumph Sprint ST - Project)

Postby wileycoyote » May 9th, 2013, 1:44 pm

orforester wrote:I thought Hansens was in Medford?

It is.
68 74 74 70 73 3a 2f 2f 77 77 77 2e 79 6f 75 74 75 62 65 2e 63 6f
6d 2f 77 61 74 63 68 3f 76 3d 64 51 77 34 77 39 57 67 58 63 51 :crackup:

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Z1000 1979 KZ1000LTD 07 Husqvarna SM610 1987 Yamaha YSR50

Postby Spincycle » May 9th, 2013, 2:40 pm

I was close...
I ain't the same person I was when I bit that guy's ear off.
Mike Tyson

Postby Dustpan » May 9th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Spincycle wrote:I was close...

:crackup: Hell, they're both in Oregon!

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Motorcycle(s): 2008 KLR650 (Karla)

Postby gcdude » May 13th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Wanted to check out European Motorsports today as we drove by (on accident; actually didn't know where it was), but it's closed on Monday's. Oh well, maybe another time...the stock looked nice.

Motorcycle(s): I ride Ducks and Zuchini's

Postby st. Mats » May 31st, 2013, 12:55 pm

I've been in the shop several times and it's not as down to earth as the other local shops. However, when I needed shims for my Ducati they had them in stock AND they let me take my time to measure each one right at the counter to make sure it was the correct size; my micrometer doesn't measure the same as the official 'tool' so this was important. IMO, they don't really 'get' sportbikes, track days, racing, etc that's at the heart of Ducati, but they seem to be making an effort and I'll give them credit for that.
Currently parting out:
2009 Ninja 250
92 Katana 1100
2001 Aprilia RST1000
2004 Ducati Multistrada
Buy parts! Help a junkie race! :-)

Postby Dustpan » May 31st, 2013, 7:06 pm

Glad to hear nice things about them. Maybe my first impression wasn't so good. So, OK, I'll consider going there again. :lol:

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Motorcycle(s): white thunder & lightning

Postby JinXX » July 11th, 2014, 3:33 pm

:silent:

Motorcycle(s): Ones I ride the most: 15 TC300, 10 TXC250, 08 DTX450, 07 SM610, 02 YZ426, 97 CBR1100XX, 91 XR185, 77 TT590

Postby JonXX » July 11th, 2014, 8:17 pm

JinXX won't say mean things about people or places so I'll say it for him haha (though he has another, different set of experiences with them as well).

Caged in there with JinXX, Ridealot, and somebody else. Sales person talked to us all nicely and with interest and enthusiasm, answered our "dumb" questions.

Next time in there, all of us (same people) rode in. JinXX on his 1198, Ridealot and TagAlong on their F650GS, somebody else on another BMW, and me on my Husky. Same salesman. He talked to all the others but treated me as if I were subhuman. He made it easy for me to decide that when I bought a BMW it would *not* be from there or their Tigard store.

Postby Dustpan » July 11th, 2014, 8:32 pm

My experiences with them have changed considerably since my last post on this thread. As it stands now, I expect I'll never set foot in that fucking place again, as long as I live. And, I tell that to everyone I know.

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Motorcycle(s): 50 Vincent Black Shadow, 54 Rapide/Steib, 95 BMW R1100RS

Postby SPCDaytona » July 12th, 2014, 8:29 pm

I reached that point years ago. In my experience, "customer service" and that shop are oxymorons. Not to mention their pricing and trade-in allowances. I not only won't patronize them, I won't buy another BMW because of them.

Postby Ron Alsea » July 12th, 2014, 9:34 pm

I will continue to buy old BMWs......because I like them but never from them.
Like, never......as in NEVER.
The worst thing for me is treating people poorly, it's even worse than a case of incompetence.
Life is good.

Postby Dustpan » July 13th, 2014, 6:38 am

I totally agree, Ron.
SPCD, I think it's really sad that an incompetent dealer can turn you away from a line of great motorcycles. I understand, but it seems a bit like, "shooting the messenger".
Once again, just my :2cents:

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Motorcycle(s): 50 Vincent Black Shadow, 54 Rapide/Steib, 95 BMW R1100RS

Postby SPCDaytona » July 13th, 2014, 9:55 am

It's not that I dislike BMWs - after all, I've owned one for 8 years :o It's having to go to Medford for a new one (Hansens) and the inability to get "local" service for a new(ish) computerized one. Next nearest service is Steve Prokop in Dundee (I also doubt he has the BMW computer stuff), and that's too far to go. After that, it's Medford. Way too far to go.

Postby Dustpan » July 13th, 2014, 10:02 am

I get it, now. I hadn't thought of the servicing aspect and I agree: Medford IS too far away. :thumbup:

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Postby orforester » July 13th, 2014, 10:43 am

Well I had a much different experience with them, got parts for my old 85 K100 over the phone, they mailed them to me, like MAX BMW out of WAY back East. So was down there picking up a part and talked to salesman, he told me they just sold a 91 K100 LT for $2900 after they put $1200 into it, new tires oil, etc. Said they didn't want to do all that work, but could not sell it, without a "safety" check which included new tires, oil, tune-up etc.

Not sure you guys are fair, dealers are dealers, some are better than others, but remember they are human and also want to make money. Us guys with old BMW bikes are really a thorn in their side, we buy crap for parts, do all our own work and expect something for nothing and complain about prices. See it from their side, they have overhead, rent, salary and want to sell new bikes to stay in business.

I guess Salem BMW/Yamaha is a good example, they no longer exist, did we like them sure, did they have old parts sure, but no longer in business, so if you don't want to go to Medford for BMW service, buck up and use the local dealer.

Opps soap box just got kicked away

Postby Dustpan » July 13th, 2014, 4:07 pm

The last thing I bought from them was a bike. Their Service Department is the reason I'll never return and why I bad-mouth them every chance I get. I was not expecting, "something for nothing". The service guy was rude, condescending and trying to convince me he was, "trying to help" when he was clearly telling me to go fuck myself.

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Postby Ron Alsea » July 13th, 2014, 4:54 pm

orforester wrote:Well I had a much different experience with them,

I'm truly glad that you did, Orforester!

orforester wrote:Not sure you guys are fair, dealers are dealers, some are better than others, but remember they are human and also want to make money.

That is the very point, they are human, so are we. If we treat one another well, we have a better experience. I just don't support rudeness w/my time or money, if I'm unable to turn around a bad experience.

orforester wrote:Us guys with old BMW bikes are really a thorn in their side, we buy crap for parts, do all our own work and expect something for nothing and complain about prices.

1. We shouldn't be a thorn if we like older bikes.
2. I don't buy or ride crap
3. I do light maintenance only
4. I form a good relationship with a mechanic who is fair & honest and am glad to pay for the work done.

It is simpler for me, I acknowledge; I buy and ride the bikes I want; if they made 2014 replicas w/the original engineering of old BMWs, I'd probably buy one.
Until then, I'll ride ones that are 30 years old, have the look I want, do simple maintenance and rely on trustworthy people for what I can't or don't want to do. I buy new parts when available or, if not, from a company that makes substitutes.
I like an easy, friendly relationship with a mechanic; there are at least 2 local bike mechanics that have these attributes.
Thanks for the opposing opinion and a report of a better experience; another forum member has had no difficulty with them as well, shared in comments over breakfast.
Life is good.

Motorcycle(s): Ones I ride the most: 15 TC300, 10 TXC250, 08 DTX450, 07 SM610, 02 YZ426, 97 CBR1100XX, 91 XR185, 77 TT590

Postby JonXX » July 13th, 2014, 8:19 pm

SPCDaytona wrote:Next nearest service is Steve Prokop in Dundee (I also doubt he has the BMW computer stuff), and that's too far to go. .

Steve has the MOSS tool for the 650 singles but from what I've heard he doesn't know how to use it.

orforester wrote:I guess Salem BMW/Yamaha is a good example, they no longer exist, did we like them sure, did they have old parts sure, but no longer in business,

Salem Honda/BMW/Ducati is out of business for very different reasons than are in this thread.

Postby Dustpan » July 14th, 2014, 8:09 am

Ron, I agree totally. You are much more eloquent than I, my friend. Well said.

JonXX, I, too, have been told that Salem Honda/BMW closed for very different reasons, by someone who was there and knows the truth about the closing. A very sad ending.

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Motorcycle(s): 1985 BMW R80, 2001 Ducati M900sie, 2003 Multistrada

Postby TelemarkSean » July 14th, 2014, 8:58 am

I've only been there a handful of times but my experience has always been positive. However, I've only ever talked to Ben and Jeremy who are mechanics and I've only ever bought oil, brake pads, and maybe a few seals or something. Anyway, if you must go in, just walk to the back counter, ask for something specific, and hopefully you'll get one of these guys.

I think I've posted this somewhere else, but: If you need work done on old BMWs, consider Murph (http://www.murphsbmw.com). He's fixed some stripped exhaust threads and a valve cover stud thing on my R80. Although his website only mentions the older air-cooled bikes, I've seen K-bikes in his shop so he dabbles in the dark side at least a little. :)

Motorcycle(s): white thunder & lightning

Postby JinXX » July 21st, 2014, 7:41 pm

Im not big on long post
:stir:

Hello
To whom it may concern,
In the early part of August 2013 I placed deposit on an hp4.

I took delivery of bike on
July 12, when I returned home I noticed engine oil on my right boot.
The entire right side of bike covered in engine oil. I cleaned up the out side of bike and returned bike to the dealer on the July 16th. They found a bad valve cover gasket.
When I picked up the bike on the 18 of July the bike still had engine oil all over parts of engine and fairing were covered in oil, no one had cleaned. I also asked them to ride the bike to make sure problems were no more, they road 1.8 miles is all.
July 19 I take the bike out for a ride and after maybe 50 miles it started running as if it was missing a cylinder and would not go a over 4500 rpm.
I pulled over and went to call dealer again and noticed engine oil all down the right had side of bike again. The owner with lack of concern just transfers me to service. The service department ask me to call road side assistance.
Bike was towed to the Tigard location on the 19 of July. I have not received one call on the status or any relevant questions regarding problem with bike.
Bike was delivered at 1:47 pm and I called the dealer to enquire if they wanted any information on the bike and why it's there. Dealer stated they received bike only 20 minutes ago. Mind you the tow truck driver was kind enough to send me a txt message with photo of bike arriving safely. I called dealer at 3:54 pm.

Now when I called, I explained a little communication goes a long way. I also asked when I could expect bike to be looked at. I was first told ladder part of next week. I asked if he could be more specific? I was told the 24 of July. After receiving no communication, I stopped by dealer in person on the 25 of July. I was told the bike would be looked at after lunch and be called. The 25 and the 26 of July came and went. The bike has been in at the dealer 11 days now. I have not received one call yet from dealer.
It has now been 18 days since I've taken delivery of bike and it's been at the dealer for repair for 14 of the 18 days and by the time you read this it will 15 days at dealer.
I refuse to be treated this way and can't believed others allow this treatment.
I would like to be contacted and reassured the bike will be fixed and given a a proper test ride to evaluate bike is free of problems. I also expect the bike to be cleaned of engine oil as well.
All of this could have been avoided with a little communication, and caring responsible people. I do not expect people to stop what they are doing and take care of me. I realize others have their bikes in for service and other work. To be lied to time and time again is unacceptable.
Thanks for your time

Eugene and Tigard will never get a dime from me

Postby TelemarkSean » September 1st, 2016, 11:03 am

st. Mats wrote: when I needed shims for my Ducati they had them in stock AND they let me take my time to measure each one right at the counter to make sure it was the correct size; my micrometer doesn't measure the same as the official 'tool' so this was important.

I did valves this weekend and had this exact experience there. I brought my micrometer and everything. Ben and the other guys in the parts department are good.

Motorcycle(s): I ride Ducks and Zuchini's

Postby st. Mats » September 1st, 2016, 12:26 pm

Ah, the dreaded Ducati valve adjustment. How did it go? My last couple were pretty straight forward.
Currently parting out:
2009 Ninja 250
92 Katana 1100
2001 Aprilia RST1000
2004 Ducati Multistrada
Buy parts! Help a junkie race! :-)

Postby TelemarkSean » September 2nd, 2016, 11:19 pm

st. Mats wrote:Ah, the dreaded Ducati valve adjustment. How did it go? My last couple were pretty straight forward.

It really wasn't that bad. I only had to replace a few opening shims so that made things easier. And cheaper.... closing shims cost 2x as much. Also, it has only 2-valves per cylinder so it's the easiest configuration. Did belts while I was at it. Yeah, pretty straightforward.

Return to Shop Reviews