OK, so this one is mine, too

We know motorcyclists like to show off. If you've got pictures of your bike, show it off here.
Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75RT, '85 BMW R80, '69 Velorex 562 w/a '79 GW stuck to it

OK, so this one is mine, too

Postby Ron Alsea » May 14th, 2014, 7:16 pm

Found a 1985 R80 before I bought the Velorex/GW sidehack a month ago but PO & I couldn't connect, I don't like red or rust color so I went for the sidehack, not wanting to miss that. I really like that sidehack! :thumbup:
I called her back & told her I went for another bike.
Then the R80's PO shot an e-mail yesterday, asked if I was interested and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.......no threats required. Rode it yesterday, the old airhead engine's sound, low CG, familiar feel, maneuverability & modest weight was like a long, cool drink of spring water to a thirsty soul. Like coming home.
There is something about the clean lines, comparatively low-tech, great engineering in airhead BMWs of that era which really appeals to me, the faint smell of gasoline with carbed machines, even if it is liver toxic....oh yeah.... I must remember to turn the gas on........ :facepalm:
A handshake last night, a noontime trip to the bank, DMV & a call to the insurance agent after the morning breakfast run and she's mine. I'll stop whining about missing my airhead...promise!
Parked the trailer a quarter mile away where there was room, walked to the PO's house, rode it back & trailered her home.......'cept now where do I put it. :facepalm:
Needs some light maintenance, undersized battery slopping around in the missing battery cage, pull off a lame aftermarket backrest farkle.
Might paint it black w/white pinstriping but someone riding a flashy red & white road rocket today quoted a pretty scary price tag...... :shock:
I'm pretty lucky with the instruments, only one minor glitch; most airheads of that era have a clock that doesn't work............I prefer to think it reads correctly twice a day ;)
Great day, but I thought while riding it yesterday that an R90 or R100 with a small cafe fairing would be sweet.
Sis says I need to seek out Motorcycles Anonymous ...........but I can stop this any time I want......
You can trust me on this one..... :think:
I countered with a threat to get a title for her GW as an abandoned vehicle & sell it, then accused her of being bicoastal.....she has a bike here & at her home ;)
Life is good.

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawasaki Concours14, 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Re: OK, so this one is mine, too

Postby ZDoc » May 14th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Ron, you are starting to act like a certain furball we know! Seriously, good looking bike and nice catch!

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75RT, '85 BMW R80, '69 Velorex 562 w/a '79 GW stuck to it

Postby Ron Alsea » May 14th, 2014, 10:15 pm

ZDoc wrote:Ron, you are starting to act like a certain furball we know! Seriously, good looking bike and nice catch!

Oohhhhhhhhhhh...........I'm going to have nightmares!
Oh, wait a minute, mine all actually run!
Whew.....
Life is good.

Motorcycle(s): R 1150RT

Postby Sporttour » May 14th, 2014, 10:23 pm

Bravo!
Sostén mi cerveza y mira esto…

"Practicing the same errors for years does not mean you have years of experience" - Keith Code.

Postby Sasquatch » May 14th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Hey! All the ones that need to run, run! At least I didn't have mine all break down at the same time! :stir:

Ron, I think you're mistaken.. isn't that color Dustpans color?

Motorcycle(s): 2017 H-D Street Rod, XG750A, "99"

Postby Dustpan » May 14th, 2014, 10:30 pm

That's a beauty, Ron! Nice catch. And, you didn't go to the dark side...
"If you don't know (CARE) where you're going, any road'll get you there."

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Postby Ron Alsea » May 14th, 2014, 10:46 pm

Dustpan wrote:That's a beauty, Ron! Nice catch. And, you didn't go to the dark side...

Thanks, think there was a lot of horse trading today.
Love those old airheads.......
Life is good.

Postby Sasquatch » May 15th, 2014, 10:52 am

I'm guessing the dark side is liquid cooled?

Motorcycle(s): '08 KLR650 (Grendel) and The Project (Fox)

Postby Jakwriter » May 15th, 2014, 11:08 am

Is it blasphemy if I say I prefer the Wing? But I'm still envious. Nice bike.

Of course more bikes is better. Running or not isn't the problem. Putting a roof over them, being able to work on'em, these are problems.
"Screws not glue. If you can't open it you don't own it."

Ride or do not ride. There is no drive.

Motorcycle(s): Trinity (2009 Triumph Daytona 675), Grace (2001 Triumph Sprint RS), Charity (2001 Triumph Sprint ST - Project)

Postby wileycoyote » May 15th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Jakwriter wrote:Of course more bikes is better. Running or not isn't the problem. Putting a roof over them, being able to work on'em, these are problems.

Man, ain't that the truth?
68 74 74 70 73 3a 2f 2f 77 77 77 2e 79 6f 75 74 75 62 65 2e 63 6f
6d 2f 77 61 74 63 68 3f 76 3d 64 51 77 34 77 39 57 67 58 63 51 :crackup:

Postby Ron Alsea » May 15th, 2014, 4:57 pm

Sasquatch wrote:I'm guessing the dark side is liquid cooled?

I think the "dark side" that Dustpan humorously referred to is where he just went!
And to think a friend led him there........so sad......... :cry:
:D
Life is good.

Postby Ron Alsea » May 15th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Jakwriter wrote:Is it blasphemy if I say I prefer the Wing? But I'm still envious. Nice bike.

Of course more bikes is better. Running or not isn't the problem. Putting a roof over them, being able to work on'em, these are problems.

Nope, no blasphemy there, I like the GW-sidehack, that's why I bought it.
The old airhead is an enduring love.......as with any other affinity, if you don't have it, you don't get it. Each bike has its purpose & attributes that cause me to use one over another; the sidehack hauls a lot of stuff & is otherworldly, the R80 is warm-fuzzy/old friend Zen, the K75 is fast, super smooth, dependable, accelerates and handles so well, and lets me ride with Slodave w/o him stopping and falling asleep!
Thankfully, we have lots of bikes to choose from.
Just spent some time temporarily solving how to functionally house the stable........plus Sis's 1500 GW.
Need to free up more space to make it more convenient! :think:
Life is good.

Postby Sasquatch » May 15th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Jakwriter wrote:Is it blasphemy if I say I prefer the Wing? But I'm still envious. Nice bike.

Exactly! I get as much, sometimes more joy in wrenching than I do riding. I'll collect a bunch then widdle down the herd to get to the one that's really fun. Or sometimes run into one that's more cool than what I got so I've got to boot the one I wanted..

Ron, just add a double door to the living room and BAM! You've got a place to display a couple and then more room in the shop! Your welcome. ;)

Postby Ron Alsea » May 17th, 2014, 7:36 pm

OK..........it seems that I've gone over to the dark side, must have succumbed to MBS, multi-bike syndrome.
I picked this airhead up a few days ago & want to go over it before riding it much, the PO isn't very mechanically savvy.
I couldn't talk Sassy out of his MC lift, so, I jumped on one for sale on CL, picked it up this morning. The seller is a great guy with an assortment of bikes, lives on the shoulder of Washburn Heights & just bought a professional lift that also can handle his very large quad. The lift I bought has an upgraded tire vise, a decided improvement over the one that came with this HF lift:
Saves backs & knees.

The R80's PO had an undersized battery in it; few things do I dislike more than an undersized, anemic & useless battery on a bike w/o a kickstart. A stop at Premier on my way home solved that, note the difference in size which also reflects the increased CCA:

Want to go over the R80, change oil, filters, lube, general look about, etc; the lift has come in handy already:
My shop has taken a hit in space; the K75RT & Sis's GW eat up one bay:
Have to get my gas lines replaced on the K75RT; I love that bike!
Last edited by Ron Alsea on May 25th, 2014, 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is good.

Motorcycle(s): 1987 BMW K75S, "Red"

Postby Dougo » May 18th, 2014, 5:18 am

Well; that is a beautiful motorcycle :clap: :clap: :clap: (the new airhead)
Ride! Now! RIDE!!!!

Postby Dustpan » May 18th, 2014, 8:55 am

+1

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ducati M900sie, 2016 Multistrada

Postby TelemarkSean » May 19th, 2014, 4:08 pm

Is that the one that's been for sale in central Oregon? Looks really clean! Is that an aftermaket shock?

Postby Ron Alsea » May 19th, 2014, 5:06 pm

TelemarkSean wrote:Is that the one that's been for sale in central Oregon? Looks really clean! Is that an aftermaket shock?

No, I saw that one for the past year as well & yes, it is a Progressive shock if I recall correctly, a common upgrade over OEM.
As for clean, the lousy camera resolution seems to make the finish look better than it is!
Life is good.

Postby Ron Alsea » May 20th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Ron Alsea wrote:
TelemarkSean wrote:Is that an aftermaket shock?

It is a Progressive shock if I recall correctly, a common upgrade over OEM.

I remembered incorrectly!
It is a Worx shock, an aftermarket improvement. The sidecover was off, exposing it while I looked for places to secure the bike.
Life is good.

Postby TelemarkSean » May 21st, 2014, 7:06 pm

Please let me know if you think that shock is any good. I feel like the suspension is the only thing I don't really love about my R80.

Also: In February, I dug in to mine and rewired all of the instruments/gauges. One of the PO's of my R80 was a good mechanic but poor at soldering - the neutral sensor and oil pressure sensor didn't work and the fuse for the instrument lights kept blowing (the tail light is also on this fuse so losing that was pretty unsafe). While I was "in there" I upgraded the instrument lights to LEDs where it was possible to do so. If your wiring needs work and you want some assistance/support, l would love to lend a hand.

Postby Ron Alsea » May 21st, 2014, 9:18 pm

TelemarkSean wrote:Please let me know if you think that shock is any good. I feel like the suspension is the only thing I don't really love about my R80.

Also: In February, I dug in to mine and rewired all of the instruments/gauges. One of the PO's of my R80 was a good mechanic but poor at soldering - the neutral sensor and oil pressure sensor didn't work and the fuse for the instrument lights kept blowing (the tail light is also on this fuse so losing that was pretty unsafe). While I was "in there" I upgraded the instrument lights to LEDs where it was possible to do so. If your wiring needs work and you want some assistance/support, l would love to lend a hand.

Will do!
Right now it is living on the lift, getting the full, holistic spa treatment, so, I'll not be able to tell you about the shock for a bit. The weather has been great & I spent 10 hrs riding today :thumbup: instead of shop time or mowing. :facepalm:
I rode the R80 just a short way when test riding, enough to know I wanted it and while I didn't find any issues with it, including a rapid stop & controlled side-slide in gravel, I can't give it a green light. Also, who knows how old it is!
I thought of LEDs as well & would appreciate your knowledge of electrical matters should they arise.
Don't imagine you know a source for a tool kit for this (new =$210 + $60 shipping :shock: ) and you probably don't have a spare, working BMW fairing clock either! ;)
Thanks, TS!
Life is good.

Postby TelemarkSean » May 21st, 2014, 11:22 pm

I don't know a source for the toolkit but I'm pretty sure that the only unique things in the kit are the hook wrenches for the (stock) shock and the tube/socket thing that is basically just a socket sized for the stock spark plugs. So, if you can find a little hook wrench for your shock, you can build an equivalent kit for a lot less than $200.

For fairing clocks: VDO makes instruments that fit and don't cost stupid amounts of money. You could replace that clock with an oil temp sensor or something else more useful but they sell clocks as well. Did you take the clock out and look at it yet? It might just be a dodgy connection from the harness.

The LED instrument lights were maybe overkill. But I had to find the weird-size instrument bulbs anyway and I figured the old airhead charging system could use all the help it could get. :) Some of the bulbs have to remain incandescent - charging light, neutral light, turn signals (but not turn signal idiot light), and possibly oil pressure - or else you'll have to start fussing with relays.

Postby Ron Alsea » May 22nd, 2014, 2:15 pm

I actually have the most airhead-specific tool, to remove the finned collar on header pipe; I may try building a kit & have a pouch made up. Thanks, TS
Life is good.

Postby Dustpan » May 22nd, 2014, 3:22 pm

I'm a little confused:
LED's draw less current (like, 0.0a) than incandescent, so why would using them require relays?

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Postby TelemarkSean » May 22nd, 2014, 4:34 pm

I think I was unclear. If you switch certain stock (incandescent) bulbs to LED, you also have to use different relays or wire in resistors or something. That's what I meant by "fuss with relays".

The stock relays that are in the bike are designed to work with the few-hundred-Ohms resistance of the incandescent bulbs and won't work correctly if there's very little resistance. The turn bulbs, for instance, can't just be swapped for LED or else the turn signal relay will not work and the signals won't blink. The GEN bulb, neutral indicator bulb (on the Mono Airheads) and the Oil Pressure bulb must be incandescent if the relays are to be left stock. I'm not sure why the neutral sensor and oil pressure sensor bulbs require high-ish resistance. IIRC, they don't go through relays - but mine don't work if the bulbs are LED. Maybe it has something to do with the way the sensors work.

On the other hand, all of the other instrument lights as well as the brake/tail light can be swapped for LEDs with no problem.
Last edited by TelemarkSean on July 23rd, 2014, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dustpan » May 22nd, 2014, 7:38 pm

Reason I asked is that I just installed a bunch of LED's on my K75 and had to add resistors for the turn signals. I've also installed an HID Hi-Lo headlight bulb, LED running lights front and rear and some LED license plate bolts. I think I may need resistors for the new LED brake/tail light, though. The burned-out bulb indicator light stays on now and it shouldn't.

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Postby TelemarkSean » May 23rd, 2014, 8:24 am

Yeah, resistors will probably fix that problem. The burned-out-bulb sensor probably expects hundreds-of-ohms resistance.

It is possible to find no-load relays that allow you use LEDs without resistors. But resistors are comparatively cheap, I think.

Postby Ron Alsea » May 24th, 2014, 9:00 pm

OK, off the lift and on the maiden ride today, still some things to be done but it rides nicely and handles great, just like old times.
It felt like coming home, riding an old airhead again. I didn't realize they had changed to electronic ignition by the time this '85 was made........cool. New repair & owners manuals came this week that have helped in some light maintenance.
Stopped periodically for a quick check and all was A-OK; I seldom need an excuse to hit the coast.......

Needed (OK, I wanted) to celebrate with a Waldport burger.
Warning....at least two animals were harmed in making this meal. :shock:
Not nearly as much fiber as Troubador's organic tree bark served at the picnic but considerably more juicy.
Highway 34 had few vehicles headed west and not one headed home.
Man.........what a day! :thumbup:
Life is good.

Motorcycle(s): R 1150RT

Postby Sporttour » May 24th, 2014, 10:28 pm

:thumbup: Life is good indeed!
Sostén mi cerveza y mira esto…

"Practicing the same errors for years does not mean you have years of experience" - Keith Code.

Motorcycle(s): Ones I ride the most: 15 TC300, 10 TXC250, 08 DTX450, 07 SM610, 02 YZ426, 97 CBR1100XX, 91 XR185, 77 TT590

Postby JonXX » May 25th, 2014, 12:43 am

Ron Alsea wrote:Each bike has its purpose & attributes that cause me to use one over another

<--- that's exactly why

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050

Postby johned » May 27th, 2014, 11:07 am

Dustpan wrote:Reason I asked is that I just installed a bunch of LED's on my K75 and had to add resistors for the turn signals. I've also installed an HID Hi-Lo headlight bulb, LED running lights front and rear and some LED license plate bolts. I think I may need resistors for the new LED brake/tail light, though. The burned-out bulb indicator light stays on now and it shouldn't.

There seems to be some confusion here.....or I am lost. Way back in "The Day" LEDs came as a light element and they needed resistors and such to keep them from current overdraw at start-up. That shortened the life of the bulb but didn't show up in performance. Some said just adding resistors worked and others(correctly) argued for more complex circuitry. Today, in these modern times, that protective circuitry is built into the "LED replacement bulb". They need 12 volts and draw little current and can be selected in lumen output many times what the old incandescent bulb was rated for.

There is a NEED for a resistor that is associated with the LED but that need is application dependent. The Turn Signal flasher uses current draw and heat to effect the flash. An LED, in drawing less current, makes the flasher inoperative. The light just stays "ON" waiting for the current to heat the flashing element and with LED that never happens. The manufacturers solution is to wire a resistor across the LED and the resistor acts like the old incandescent bulb and draws enough current to effect the flash. The turn signal application si the only one where a resistor might be needed. Otherwise, you have "olde school" stuff and selected poorly. :D

I think they make flashers that do not depend on current to do their flash thing.

Postby Dustpan » May 28th, 2014, 6:36 am

I'm probably as confused as you, but it's my understanding that LED's draw less current, burn brighter and cooler, and last longer than their incandescent counterparts. I agree totally about the reason the turn signal operation requires a resistor with the LED in order to flash, if the original flasher is being used. There are special flashers for use with LED's and they don't require an additional resistor. That's why I think I need an additional resistor for my, "Burned-Out Bulb" indicator light--there's no resistance from the LED's, so the indicator bulb thinks they're burned out.

Where's Dr. Eli when I really need him??? He could explain this so that even I could understand it!

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Motorcycle(s): KTM 300 XC

Postby Mossy-Back » May 28th, 2014, 7:23 pm

johned wrote: Otherwise, you have "olde school" stuff and selected poorly. :D

Dustpan IS "olde school stuff"... :D
Evan - Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, Always a Marine

"To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering." -Aldo Leopold

Postby Dustpan » May 28th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Hey, Young'un!
Just because you see my picture when you google, "Ye Olde Skool Stuff"... :lol:

BTW, yer pipe's dun. Coffee Saturday???

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Motorcycle(s): KTM 300 XC

Postby Mossy-Back » May 29th, 2014, 7:47 am

Works for me! See you then.
Evan - Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, Always a Marine

"To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering." -Aldo Leopold

Motorcycle(s): kawasaki Ninja

Postby tinytank » March 15th, 2016, 12:00 am

:facepalm: :popcorn: :stir: :crackup:
Ron Alsea wrote:Found a 1985 R80 before I bought the Velorex/GW sidehack a month ago but PO & I couldn't connect, I don't like red or rust color so I went for the sidehack, not wanting to miss that. I really like that sidehack! :thumbup:
I called her back & told her I went for another bike.
Then the R80's PO shot an e-mail yesterday, asked if I was interested and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.......no threats required. Rode it yesterday, the old airhead engine's sound, low CG, familiar feel, maneuverability & modest weight was like a long, cool drink of spring water to a thirsty soul. Like coming home.
There is something about the clean lines, comparatively low-tech, great engineering in airhead BMWs of that era which really appeals to me, the faint smell of gasoline with carbed machines, even if it is liver toxic....oh yeah.... I must remember to turn the gas on........ :facepalm:
A handshake last night, a noontime trip to the bank, DMV & a call to the insurance agent after the morning breakfast run and she's mine. I'll stop whining about missing my airhead...promise!
Parked the trailer a quarter mile away where there was room, walked to the PO's house, rode it back & trailered her home.......'cept now where do I put it. :facepalm:
Needs some light maintenance, undersized battery slopping around in the missing battery cage, pull off a lame aftermarket backrest farkle.
Might paint it black w/white pinstriping but someone riding a flashy red & white road rocket today quoted a pretty scary price tag...... :shock:
I'm pretty lucky with the instruments, only one minor glitch; most airheads of that era have a clock that doesn't work............I prefer to think it reads correctly twice a day ;)
Great day, but I thought while riding it yesterday that an R90 or R100 with a small cafe fairing would be sweet.
Sis says I need to seek out Motorcycles Anonymous ...........but I can stop this any time I want......
You can trust me on this one..... :think:
I countered with a threat to get a title for her GW as an abandoned vehicle & sell it, then accused her of being bicoastal.....she has a bike here & at her home ;)

Return to Show Off Your Bike