Is allure of adventure worth the hassle? ST1300 or...

Are you selling a bike or want to buy one? Let us know. Maybe someone out there will be able to help you out.
Private party classifieds only please. Any other ads will be deleted & the user will be warned.
Motorcycle(s): Honda ST1300

Is allure of adventure worth the hassle? ST1300 or...

Postby RevLIT » April 5th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Recently, I have gotten the adventure itch, but don't know if it would be worth the hassle to switch things up.

My 05 ST1300 has never let me down. My wife and daughter love going along for the ride. It is a good bike for twisty tarmac although two up and loaded its a little heavy. We can't afford a second bike (or at least I can't justify that expense). So I would need to sell my ST and buy something of similar or less value. KLRs and Wee-stroms have a certain allure when set up right (and I could come out financially ahead.) An older GS1150 could be a lateral move.

What do y'all think? Maybe I just need to ride more worry less.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2007 Husqvarna SM610

Re: Is allure of adventure worth the hassle? ST1300 or...

Postby RickRick » April 8th, 2019, 10:06 pm

The BMW GS 1100/1150 are good all-around bikes... they are a pig as far as riding but will go almost anywhere. I've had a few friends who have had them and they are fun to ride.
'Oh Shit!' is usually the moment when your plan parts ways with reality

Motorcycle(s): I ride Ducks and Zuchini's

Re: Is allure of adventure worth the hassle? ST1300 or...

Postby st. Mats » June 11th, 2019, 10:32 am

DR650's also work well, if you spend some time/money getting the suspension dialed in. You'll have to do that for a KLR or wee-strom too. My 650 with 50/50 tires (Shinko 244's) is a tolerable street bike that's capable of traveling gravel roads much faster than I should take them. With knobbie tires, it makes a passable trail bike (stay on green trails!) and a functional, but not great street ride. I still ride tarmac with it, but only as a means to an end, eg; getting to the logging roads and/or trails. The KLR is similar to the DR650, but heavier. It's arguably a better street bike but less off-tarmac capable. The wee-strom is a street bike with a funny front wheel. :-) None of these bikes will carry a full size passenger comfortably, but the Wee would be best of the three. My kids (9 and 11yo) are already big enough that they have trouble riding comfortably on the back of the DR. On the other hand, with soft bags, tank bag, and a top box. I can pack enough gear to be gone for quite a while, if I want to. If you end up with a dirty street bike, hit me up and we'll go get lost somewhere.....
Currently parting out:
2009 Ninja 250
92 Katana 1100
2001 Aprilia RST1000
2004 Ducati Multistrada
Buy parts! Help me clean my garage!

Return to Bikes