Making a big bike lean like a sports bike

Wanna show off some maintenance that you've done? Have a question about a project? A lot of us like to work on our own bikes & enjoy helping others do the same. Let us know!
Motorcycle(s): 83' Yamaha Venture (1200cc)

Making a big bike lean like a sports bike

Postby zman » June 23rd, 2017, 9:38 pm

So I have a 1983 Yamaha Venture (1200cc). Its a bid bike weighing it at roughly 1100lbs. But it sure dosnt feel like it. My last bike was a 1985 Honda v45 Magna and the new Yamaha is just as agile surprisingly. The problem I am coming across with the Venture is that I want to lean far into the turns and it wants to as well. But I keep dragging the pedals on the ground. I know its a long shot but anyone got any ideas how to get just a little more clearance so I can get maybe another 10 degrees of lean?

Motorcycle(s): B-King 04 SV1000S (commuter) 03 SV1000S (Hot rod street project) 06 SV-R1000 (Race Bike) 76 RD400 (Street bike) 78 RD400 (Racebike) GT750 GT185 and more

Re: Making a big bike lean like a sports bike

Postby schmidt314 » June 25th, 2017, 12:02 am

zman wrote:So I have a 1983 Yamaha Venture (1200cc). Its a bid bike weighing it at roughly 1100lbs. But it sure dosnt feel like it. My last bike was a 1985 Honda v45 Magna and the new Yamaha is just as agile surprisingly. The problem I am coming across with the Venture is that I want to lean far into the turns and it wants to as well. But I keep dragging the pedals on the ground. I know its a long shot but anyone got any ideas how to get just a little more clearance so I can get maybe another 10 degrees of lean?

Get the sag set up correctly. This might give some of the clearance needed. Considering the bike is very old, have you refreshed the suspension and springs or done anything to it?
Taller profile tires can help also depending on sizes are available.
Sliding fork farther out of the clamps

It all changes geometry though so you need to be careful and understand what changes you made and how it changed the handling.

-MS

Motorcycle(s): 83' Yamaha Venture (1200cc)

Re: Making a big bike lean like a sports bike

Postby zman » June 25th, 2017, 5:24 pm

None of those ideas have even crossed my mind. It has an air suspension which I know is at 0psi right now. Not sure if I can slide the forks. Great suggestions. If I could get just an extra 1/2inch I think that would be great. I know the bike can Handel it. Any much further than I'm leaning it now I'd be dragging the saddle bag guards anyways.

Return to Maintenance