Help needed

Have some gear you don't need anymore? Want to pick up some used riding gear? Post here.
Private party classifieds only please. Any other ads will be deleted & the user will be warned.
Motorcycle(s): 2017 H-D Street Rod, XG750A, "99"

Help needed

Postby Dustpan » April 13th, 2019, 9:49 pm

I’m currently contemplating the purchase of a communication device for riding and I’d like to know what equipment other riders are using. I want something for street use only on which I can stream music, hear navigation instructions and answer my iPhone. Also, I’d like to have the ability to connect (via Bluetooth) occasionally with other riders. I understand Sena and Cardo are the most popular, but I can’t figure out which brand/model would best suit my needs. Suggestions? Thanks!
"If you don't know (CARE) where you're going, any road'll get you there."

-George Harrison
(Revised by Dustpan)

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2007 Husqvarna SM610

Re: Help needed

Postby RickRick » April 22nd, 2019, 8:55 pm

I've been pleased with the Cardo Scalarider 9gx.

This is no longer available and the current model is the Packtalk. I would look at their website to determine what will meet your needs. Tim and I were talking yesterday and we are getting the Packtalk Bold with JBL speakers. (new out this year)

One tip is to be sure you purchase from an authorized retailer. If you purchase from eBay or from Amazon, you need to make sure you get a receipt (non-amazon or eBay) from the actual seller (who is an authorized retailer).

I know someone who is interested in trying to get a group buy together. If you are interested, please PM me.
'Oh Shit!' is usually the moment when your plan parts ways with reality

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Postby MerlotMax » April 27th, 2019, 12:46 pm

I have used the Sena SMH10 and now the SMH10R (low profile) and have had great luck with both. With the newer Sena running Bluetooth 4.1 they have optional handlebar control, up to 16 riders on intercom (1 miles) and with 5 or more riders they have the Mesh intercom with range up to 5 miles. If I remember right that range is connecting/bouncing from one rider to the next.

The newer Cardo's with PackTalk give you ability to link with up to 15 riders and a range up to 5 miles, like the Sena. The intercom (bike to bike) range is 1 mile.

It's a tough choice, kind of like the old Ford/Chevy battle.

Motorcycle(s): Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited, Honda CRF 250l

Postby Cruiser68 » June 13th, 2019, 8:26 pm

My wife and I bought Sena 20s units in 2016 and have been pretty happy with them. We can talk to one another well, stream music and GPS directions. That said, the speakers that come with the Sena are tinny - leaves a lot to be desired for sound. When using other than a full face helmet, I use earbuds and the sound quality difference is night and day...music is fantastic, intercom easier to hear, etc. After some casting about on the Interwebs for improvements by other users, I have a cheap pair of over the ear headphones with same size speakers that likely have much better drivers (same impedance)...I am going to change out the speakers and see how it goes.

We did have a problem with my wife's unit, the battery swelled up and caused some damage to the plastics. I replaced the battery (Sena claims batteries are not user replaceable, but if you have any skill it is easy) and fixed the plastics and they still work great.

I have never used other devices, so can't really compare to others.

Good luck with your choice!

Return to Gear